Spoilers will be freed.
The Flash 1×22: Rogue Air is the episode before the finale. As such, it puts all pieces in place. It should be obvious to everyone in the STAR Labs team that it all happens according to Harrison Wells/Eobard Thawne/The Reverse Flash’s plans. But first, a distraction. Basically the episode is split into two stories because… well, I hope it makes sense in the end.
And that’s what’s annoying me. The first part of the episode previous to the finale, we get the particle accelerator trying to start itself on thanks to a device planted by Barry’s former mentor and current nemesis. Eddie is found. Peek-a-boo escapes and gets knocked out by Iris with a wrench. Eddie tells Iris that he saw the future and how she will marry Barry Allen. Am I going too fast?
Well, that’s because the ludicrous (I never get to use that word, so yay) development that comes next was just painful to watch. The inmates inside the accelerator are going to get fried, therefore Barry wants to get them out. He makes a few calls and intends to imprison them in Lian Yu – the island were Oliver became the Arrow and that houses the likes of Deathstroke. Nice crossover detail, cool so far. Then Barry enlists the help of Leonard Snart (aka Captain Cold) and his sister, Lisa (she gets her own codename, Golden Glider, on this episode). How do you think that goes? It doesn’t really go well. They never board the plane. The inmates escape.
Whether that side story was unnecessary or not, time will tell. It was just frustrating to watch.
The second part is the direct setup for the finale. Eobard Thawne returns to STAR Labs and is greeted at the gate by the Flash. As they trade quips, two more allies show up: Ronnie Raymond aka Firestorm and Oliver Queen aka the Arrow (unless you want to call him Al Sah-Him). I’m not going to narrate the fight, but after a few bouts the Reverse Flash is captured.
And you know that outcome was exactly what Eobard Thawne wanted. Despite the superhero team-up at the end, I wasn’t too crazy about this episode.
- Lots of guest stars in this one. We get both Stephen Amell (Oliver Queen/Arrow) and Robbie Amell (Ronnie Raymond/Firestorm).
- Green Lantern reference at Ferris Airfield, they mention that a test pilot disappeared.
- After they capture the Reverse Flash, Oliver tells Barry he’s going to ask him for a huge favor. This is obviously a hint at this participation on Arrow’s finale episode.
- The team goes to great lengths to move a bunch of supervillains only to fail after being sabotaged by Captain Cold. Barry even throws this on Wells/Thawne’s face to which he says he didn’t anticipated that. Makes me think the whole thing was just some sort of filler. They’ll find some way to use it, I hope?
- I don’t think Robbie Amell (Ronnie/Firestorm) had any lines.
That will do for now.
(Source: The CW)