Ai is in love with Makoto. Makoto saved her when they were both little, and because of that he has a nasty scar on his forehead. Makoto doesn’t want to save her anymore, he’s just a punk that beats up everyone. This is Takashi Miike’s For Love’s Sake.
What can you add to a movie that has everything? Romance, comedy, crime and over the top violence? Well, music of course! Anime fans can definitely see how this one will go, with a hopeless romantic dimwit of a girl willing to sacrifice herself for the love of a guy who has no interest in her, anybody or anything and the most laugh-out-loud scenes happening when someone breaks out into song. Or a fight. Or sometimes, and often, both.
It’s the first time ever I manage to land tickets to the opening film of the entire festival and it was so worth it. Recommended to watch in a theater with a bunch of people ready to laugh at the whole thing.
Stay tuned 🙂
- July 20: Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below
- July 22: Lloyd The Conqueror
- July 26: The King of Pigs
- July 27: Dragon (Wu Xia)
- July 28: Arjun The Warrior Prince
- July 31: A Fantastic Fear of Everything
- August 4: Space Battleship Yamato
- August 7: Painted Skin: The Resurrection
- August 9: A Boy and His Samurai
(Sources: Fantasia Film Festival, For Love’s Sake)