Spoilers might fly overhead.
For this week’s episode of Game of Thrones 5×5: Kill the Boy, I was kinda hoping Sansa was going to poison Ramsay Bolton. The title is actually a direct quote from Maester Aemon to Jon Snow: “Kill the boy and let the man be born.” It’s actually the wisest advice in the world of Westeros, Essos and every other realm you can think off where they chop off people’s heads.
Stannis is finally marching on Winterfell, afraid that winter might get here. The last Baratheon is actually becoming the center of attention, capable of great mobility and willing to side himself with great powers. Jon instead has decided to free Tormund to bring the rest of the Wildlings south of the Wall for their safety. At this point, can we agree that “Winter is coming” means that the Army of the Dead is marching on Westeros? Or is it something more than that? Tormund ends up agreeing with the condition that Jon comes along.
Ramsay Bolton’s crazy counterpart, Miranda, is really jealous of Sansa Stark. She leads her to the kennel telling her she’s got a surprise for her at the end. Cue me yelling at my screen. NOPE NOPE NOPE. I kind of expected a dead direwolf or a rabid dog, but it’s Reek aka Theon Greyjoy. Later at dinner, Ramsay orders Reek to apologize for killing Bran and Rickon Stark. We haven’t seen Bran for an age and Rickon for even longer, and apparently we don’t get to see them this season. Reek’s apology is painfully awkward. Roose Bolton is awfully quiet, but as it turns out he’s got a reason. His new wife Walda is pregnant with child. Cue Sansa assessing the situation quickly and congratulating her on the spot while Ramsay fumes. A pure blooded brother is the last thing he needs, but Roose once again surprises him when he tells him he needs him to help defeat Stannis. In true Bolton tradition, he asks him this after telling him the cruel way he murdered a miller and raped his wife who ended up giving birth to the Bastard of Bolton.
Across the Narrow Sea in Meereen, Daenerys mourns the death of Ser Barristan Selmy. Grey Worm finally recovers to find Missandei at his side. Dany decides to imprison the heads of the houses of Meereen, starting with Hizdahr zo Loraq. She then takes those leaders down to the dungeons and brings them face to face with the dragons. One of the leaders is pushed in front at her signal and burned down to be eaten by her two younger dragons. She almost pushes Hizdahr next but relents. It seems the Queen of Meereen is going to go the revenge way but after a consultation with Missandei, she changes her mind. She frees Hizdahr telling him she will open the fighting pits and marry the head of an important house to assure the city of her commitment. She has chosen Hizdahr.
Tyrion and ser Jorah Mormont are going through the ruins of Valyria to reach Meereen in order to avoid pirates. As they cross a narrow canal, Tyrion stands in awe as he sees a dragon (I guess this is Drogon) flying above their little boat. In the distraction, they are attached by the Stone Men. They are infected with greyscale, the same rare disease that afflicts Stannis Baratheon’s daughter, Shireen. Tyrion falls off the boat to avoid getting touched. He falls unconscious. When he wakes up, Jorah has managed to drag him to shore and is willing to cut the rope that ties his hands. Tyrion is grateful, but ignores that Jorah has actually been infected.
- Tyrion’s quip to ser Jorah Mormont: “Long sullen silences and an occasional punch in the face, the Mormont way.”
- Tyrion sees his first dragon.
- Stannis hears the calls protesting Jon Snow’s decision to free the Wildlings and save them from the oncoming Army of the Dead. When one of Jon’s detractors argues, “Less enemies for us!” you can hear Stannis whispering: “Fewer.”
- Sansa congratulating Walda Frey (now Walda Bolton) on her pregnancy, knowing full well that Ramsay’s status is in jeopardy.
- Stannis actually asks Samwell Tarly how he killed a white walker. Stannis now knows about Dragonglass/obsidian daggers.
- We get Brienne managing to send a message to Sansa Stark by asking a Northerner about Lord Eddard Stark.
- Ramsay Bolton doing a fat joke about Walda. “How sure are you that she’s pregnant?”. When Roose doubts for a moment he knows about the birds and the bees, Ramsay stresses how fat Walda is. I hope this is not the show trying to get a fat joke under the radar just cause Ramsay is the bad guy.
- Seems Sansa will have to deal with the Boltons for a while. And Miranda. And Reek/Theon. Where is Littlefinger?
That will do for now.